500-750g Chicken ( small-med cubed with bones , can be substituted with mutton)
500-750g Basmati Rice ( about 3 cups , washed and soaked for 20 minutes)
1 Cup Plain Yogurt (whipped)
3 med size onion (finely sliced)
3 med size tomato (chopped)
2 tablespoon ginger & garlic paste
3-4 Small Green Chillies
1 Packet Biryana Masala (Any Biryani Spice Mix thats available)
1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
3-4 tablespoon Oil
Water as needed
Corriander/Parsley f(chopped), for garnishing
1. Fry the onions in oil on medium heat until golden brown. Add meat, garlic & ginger paste, and stir fry for 10 minutes.
2. Add any Biryani Spice Mix (incase you dont have a biryani mix it can be substituted with assorted indian spices), yogurt, ginger, green chillies and stir. Fry for 5 minutes.
3. Add one glass of water. Cover and cook on low heat until the meat is tender. When the meat is cooked there should be about two cups of gravy. (If more increase heat, if less add water).
4. Shift the cooked meat to a larger pot. Spread tomatoes, green corriander and mint leaves over the meat Do not mix meat and the green masala. Cover and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.
5. Separately: In 12 glasses of hot water, add some salt. Add soaked rice, boil until the rice is more than half cooked. Remove and thoroughly drain. Spread the cooked rice evenly over the meat. Do not mix the rice & the meat. Cover and cook on low heat until rice is tender. Mix before serving.
-Ensure mixture is covered in step 4 to ensure rice is cooked and flavour is absorbed
-Do not mix it completely until serving if you wish to have a difference in color of the biryani rice.